Summer’s over and the kids are headed back-to-school! It’s the time of year when you return to your routine of homework, early bedtime and a host of extra-curricular activities! Often, these changes can be stressful and can lead to a weakened immune system. The timing is terrible because with all the kids back in school together – germs are bound to flourish and the first round of sickness is soon to follow. To keep your family healthy and well we suggest the follow immune boosting practices:
- Start taking immune boosting supplements. Start the kids on a good whole foods multivitamin such as Vitamin Code Chewable Bear – Kids Multi-Vitamin which we carry at Fresh Start. For immune support during cold & flu season, start them on a high-quality probiotic such as Dr. Formulated Organic Kids. You may want to consider adding a vitamin C and supplement such as mykind Organics Vitamin C Spray—which has a great taste your kids will love! Be sure to choose supplements and vitamins that are organic, non-GMO and free of fillers and artificial colors to ensure true potency and safety. All of these are available at Fresh Start store and our online store.
- Make a nutritious, balanced diet a priority Vitamins will only take you so far – healthy eating habits are provide the nutritional foundation for keeping germs away. Remember the following:
- Stay away from processed foods
- Eat plenty of fruits, veggies, lean protein and whole grains
- Reduce sugar intake – sugar diminishes your body’s natural immunity
- Don’t skip breakfast – try oatmeal with fruit, yogurt and granola, peanut butter on fruit or a veggie-packed omelet
- Wash Those Hands! According to the CDC, the best way to ward off sickness is to engage in frequent hand washing. Encourage your child to lather up regularly and to wash their hands thoroughly. Also, make sure kids avoid the habit of touching or rubbing their face, especially the nose, eyes and mouth, to avoid infection. Clean high-contact items, such as doorknobs, faucets and telephones frequently.
5. Cut down on stress Research has established a correlation between stress and a weakened immune system. Make sure kids have time to play and unwind. Encourage time outdoors to unplug from technology, as well as creative activities such as painting and drawing. Exercise is also an ideal outlet, strengthening immunity, busting stress and protecting against childhood obesity. This is a great time to start diffusing stress relieving essential oils such as lavender, bergamot, lemongrass, orange or ylang ylang to name a few.
There’s no magic bullet to keeping kids well and even if you take extra steps to keep them well, they will inevitably succumb to sickness sooner or later – when that happens, follow the suggestions above to shorten the time of the illness and come to see us at Fresh Start for elderberry syrup and other natural remedies.